Description: The Book Club meets every 6 weeks to discuss a current book for review.If you like to read and to talk about books this is for you – or you can just listen to what others have to say. Give it a go.
Coordinator: Alan Corkhill
Day: See list below
Time: 9:30 am
Book List 2019
Dymphna Cusack/James Florence, “Come in Spinner” (1951; 1988) 7 February
Randolph Stow, “The Merry-Go-Round in the Sun” (1965) 21 March
Hugh Lunn, “Vietnam – A Reporter’s War” (1985) 7 May 11:45 am
Jessica Anderson, “Tirra Lirra by the River” (1978) 13 June
Peter Carey, “Amnesia” (2014) 25 July
Grantlee Kieza, “Monash: The Soldier who Shaped Australia” (2015)
5 September 12 September
- To what extent did John Monash’s formative years shape the leader of men he became?
- What does biographer Kieza emphasise as Monash’s greatest achievements on the battlefield? What strategies did Monash employ to achieve these aims, and were they consistent?
- To what degree did antisemitism and/or Monash’s German background provide obstacles to his civic and military career, according to KIeza?
- What seems to have been the root cause of Billy Hugh’s hostility towards Monash?
- How does Kieza characterise Monash the citizen and military man in general? Is he sympathetic, unsympathetic or evenhanded?
5. How would you characterise Monash from the evidence supplied or from other biographies and historical sources?
Chris Hammer, “Scrublands” (2018) 17 October
Tim Winton, “The Shepherd’s Hut” (2018) 28 November
Any enquiries: Alan Corkhill Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 045 012 7270