Description: The Book Club meets every 6 weeks to discuss a current book for review.If you like to read and to talk about books this is for you – or you can just listen to what others have to say. Give it a go.
Coordinator: Alan Corkhill
Day: See list below
Time: 9:30 am
Book List 2019
Dymphna Cusack/James Florence, “Come in Spinner” (1951; 1988) 7 February
Randolph Stow, “The Merry-Go-Round in the Sun” (1965) 21 March
Hugh Lunn, “Vietnam – A Reporter’s War” (1985) 7 May 11:45 am
Jessica Anderson, “Tirra Lirra by the River” (1978) 13 June
Peter Carey, “Amnesia” (2014) 25 July
Grantlee Kieza, “Monash: The Soldier who Shaped Australia” (2015)
5 September 12 September
Chris Hammer, “Scrublands” (2018) 17 October
- How does the novel rate as a crime thriller? Are there any implausibilities in the storyline?
- What does Hammer have to say about the responsibilities of journalism? What (ethical) dilemmas does Martin Scarsden face as the plot thickens? How does he attempt to overcome them?
- How would you characterise Martin, the man, and Martin the investigative reporter?
- How does his past affect his present life/attitude to life?
- How critical is Hammer in his depiction of the media coverage of events in Riversend?
- How accomplished is Hammer in his description of life in a small Riverina town?
- How symbolic are the oppressive weather conditions?
Tim Winton, “The Shepherd’s Hut” (2018) 28 November
Any enquiries: Alan Corkhill Email: email@example.com 045 012 7270