Description: The Book Club meets every 6 weeks to discuss a current book for review.If you like to read and to talk about books this is for you – or you can just listen to what others have to say. Give it a go.
Coordinator: Alan Corkhill
Day: See list below
Time: 9:30 am
Book List 2019
Dymphna Cusack/James Florence, “Come in Spinner” (1951; 1988) 7 February
Randolph Stow, “The Merry-Go-Round in the Sun” (1965) 21 March
Change for next 2 books for Hugh Lunn’s visit –
Hugh Lunn, “Vietnam – A Reporter’s War” (1985)
2 7 May 11:45 am
Focus question for Vietnam – A Reporter’s War
- The author writes from a very personal perspective. Does this affect the author’s objectivity or does his personal experience enable him to objectively reach conclusions about the war.
- Track the development of the author’s growing awareness of what is happening in Vietnam and consider whether the evidence he presents justifies the conclusions he reaches about the American’s conduct of the war and its inevitable outcome.
- The writer uses interviews and the accounts of participants and witnesses to ‘personalise’ the war. How effective is this?
- It’s a reporter’s war but it is also a reporter’s book. What are your thoughts on the long feature style of many of the chapters.
- How do your own views on the war – both then and now – compare to the author’s views.
- Has reading the Vietnam caused you to change or modify your own views on the Vietnam war.
Jessica Anderson, “Tirra Lirra by the River” (1978) 13 June
Peter Carey, “Amnesia” (2014) 25 July
Grantlee Kieza, “Monash: The Soldier who Shaped Australia” (2015) 5 September
Chris Hammer, “Scrublands” (2018) 17 October
Tim Winton, “The Shepherd’s Hut” (2018) 28 November
Any enquiries: Alan Corkhill Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 045 012 7270